The Saxophone Method Vol. 1: Foundation Techniques
with John O'Neill
- Course Trailer
- Sample Lesson Free
- Saxophone set-up
- The equipment
- The mouthpiece
- Reeds and ligatures
- The strap & accessories
- How to assemble your saxophone
- Fitting the reed to the mouthpiece
- Caring for your sax
- Foundation techniques
- The breath
- Breathing exercise #1
- Breathing exercise #2
- Breathing exercise #3
- Breathing exercise #4
- Breathing exercise #5
- Embouchure & your first note
- Troubleshooting your first note
- Developing your sound
- Tonguing exercise #1
- Tonguing exercise #2
- Final thoughts & practising
- Play your first tunes
- Carlito's Tango - performance
- Carlito's Tango - lesson
- Simple Reggae - performance
- Simple Reggae - lesson
Lesson plan (2h 10m)
John O'Neill has taught tens of thoursands of students through his best-selling saxophone methods.
In this online course, you'll get a chance to learn the saxophone close-up and personal with John himself, who'll demonstrate the set-up and and explain his techniques in detail.
This is what John would show you in a private lesson if you were coming to him for the first time!
The course is split into three parts:
- Saxophone setup - John explains the instrument, the mouthpiece, the reeds you should use, how to put instrument together & take it apart, and you should look after it
- Foundation techniques - Posture, Breathing, Tonguing and Embouchure
- Practice pieces - John walks you step by step on how to play your first pieces, a tango and a reggae groove!
This course will make you a stronger, more confident saxophone player. Avoid common mistakes and master the right techniques from the start.
If you've already a saxophone player and feel stuck, it may be time to revisit your foundations and sanity-check your technique!
BONUS - this course includes sheet music and the backing tracks to play along to.