Produce a killer pop track
with Paul Whalley
- Course Trailer
- Sample Lesson Free
- Song structure
- Introduction to the course
- Hooks and Parts - concepts
- Hooks and Parts
- Arrangement & intro of the song - concepts
- Arrangement & intro
- Rejected versions - concepts
- Rejected versions
- Breakdown of key parts
- Guitar part - concepts
- Guitar part
- Vocals - concepts
- ASSIGNMENT: Recreate the guitar production
- Backing vocals
- CHALLENGE #1: BUILD THE VOCAL ARRANGEMENT AND HOOK
- Keys and synths - concepts
- Keys & synthesizers
- Bass - concepts
- Drums - concepts
- Effects and Atmospheric parts - concepts
- ASSIGNMENT: Recreate the drum production
- Effects and Atmospheric parts
- Mastering - concepts
- CHALLENGE #2: DO THE FINAL MIX
Lesson plan (1h 42m)
This course is brought to you by Tileyard Education.
From touring with Mumford & Sons & Ellie Goulding to featuring on #1 pop tracks such as Shout Out To My Ex by Little Mix, Paul Whalley is a true musician and producer with a distinctive sound.
In this course, Paul lets us in to his studio at Tileyard in London and breaks down a song called "Red", recorded with the singer Emmi Green.
By the end of the course you'll know how to structure and arrange the main parts and hooks of a song. You'll also have seen practical examples of how to build the drum track, bass track, synths, effects, ambients and vocals in your DAW and what plugins settings Paul uses to build his sound.
The course includes 2 assignments and 2 "challenges" where you can use Paul's original source files to complete a task with 1-to-1 support and feedback from Paul.
In this course Paul does the following:
- deconstructs the main parts and hooks are of the song what role they play in the overall composition
- looks at the writing process, explains the arrangement and analyzes a few rejected versions of the track
- reverse engineers the each section and part of the song: drum track, bass track, synths, effects and ambients, and vocals
- explains the mastering process, and how he prepares the track for radio play, managers, A&R guys, clients and artists
This is a great course for anyone who wants to get better at writing killer pop tunes, with tons of hands on examples and inspiration that will up your game on any DAW - Ableton Live, Pro Tools, Cubase.