Improvise on a String Instrument
with Zach Brock
- Course Trailer
- Sample Lesson Free
- Getting started
- Introduction - Learning the Language of Improvisation
- Starting with a Song
- Toolkit for Improvement - Recording, Listening and Keeping a Practice Journal
- Understanding harmony through melodic exercises
- Creative Scale Practice
- Advanced Scale Practice for Improvisation
- Thinking Differently About Arpeggios
- Advanced Arpeggio Work - Using Sevenths & Inversions
- Understanding Rhythm
- Groove & Time Feel
- Bowings - Prepare for the Unexpected!
- Demonstration - Going with the Bow Flow
- Exercises for Improvisation
- Practice Hack - Fingering Fluency
- Demonstration - Motivic Improvisation
- Transcription and 'Role Playing'
- Cool Techniques
- Allowing Yourself To Play 'Wrong': Mindset and Influences
- The Chop
- Natural' Distortion & Multiphonics
- Developing Your Vibrato Style
- Introducing Effects
- The Signal Chain
- Effect Types
- Jam With Zach
- The Lingus Loop
- Looping Jam
Lesson plan (2h 35m)
Zach Brock is a Grammy Award-winning violinist and composer heralded as “the pre-eminent improvising violinist of his generation." Zach is steeped in the traditions of jazz, classical, world, and popular music, and has enjoyed finding new ways to fuse them while on tour with the likes of Snarky Puppy and Stanley Clarke.
In this course Zach provides string players with a toolkit to take their playing beyond the traditional territory of strings. Zach shares the techniques and habits that got him off the page and led him to start experimenting on violin, as well as the practice hacks and exercises he now uses to stay sharp on the road. This course takes you quickly from the very basics of improvisation, to mastering modes and gaining fluency. Zach discusses what you can learn from past masters like Stéphane Grappelli, Stuff Smith, and Zbigniew Seifert, as well as current innovators such as Christian Howes and Casey Driessen. He deconstructs techniques such as 'the chop' and explains how to attain 'natural distortion' on your instrument, as well as discussing the use of electronic effects with stringed instruments.
Everything that Zach teaches won't compromise your classical or folk-fiddle techniques, it'll enhance it! After this course you'll realise that your violin, viola or cello is practically a whole new instrument with loads of exciting new musical possibilities to explore.