Find Your Own Path in House & Techno with DJ Deep
with DJ Deep
- Course Trailer
- Sample Lesson Free
- How to find your own musical & DJing style
- Welcome to the course
- Getting inspiration from mentors
- The essential listens from New York, Chicago and Detroit
- Be curious, understand the styles and the machines
- Walk your own path, define your own sound
- My career & how I found my style
- My definition of a DJ
- My DJing setup - Analog
- My own DJing setup
- Demo: mixing with the Urei 1620
- My philosophy on studio gear
- My DJing setup - Digital
- Working with linear & digital mixers
- DJing with digital: my analog to digital process
- DJing with digital : how I manage my files
- Summary of my DJing setup
- My DJing setup - Q&A
- Q&A with aspiring DJ Elisa
- Record store wisdom
- Get in to the classics first
- How to start listening and appreciating
- DJ Deep thoughts on collecting and organizing music
- Q&A with Elisa
- The record store is your friend!
- Thanks for joining me on this course
Lesson plan (1h 34m)
Hi my name's Cyril, also known as DJ Deep. If you want to get serious about House and Techno then get involved and join me!
My passion for House and Techno Music allowed me to work with many pioneers, mentors or innovators, some of them became close friends like Kerri Chandler, Laurent Garnier, Masters at Work, Jeff Mills, Ben Klock, Joe Claussell, or Alex from Tokyo. Throughout my career I've had the chance to DJ in some of my favorite clubs such as Berghain, Rex Club, Fabric, etc… I've played alongside amazing DJs and Musicians and I've learned a lot from all these people and places, that’s how I built my own vision that i would love to share with you.
Note that this is NOT a "how to mix" tutorial-type course! The goal is really to share with you what house music means to me and inspire you with some of the joy that it's brought me over my career. I really want to help you find your own style and at the end of the course, you'll be armed with the tools and the confidence to do just that!
The course is split into three parts:
- First, we'll go back to the origins of house and why house music from Chicago, New York, Detroit, and Europe sound so different. I'll tell you how I found my style and what is my artistic approach to DJing, how I approach a set, how I choose tracks. I'll explain what I really think DJing is all about.
- Then, I'll go over my entire DJ arsenal - explain my DJ setup and why I made those choices, from cartridges to mixers. I'll show you how technical choices play a big part in shaping your sound. I'll explain why iconic DJs such as Lil Louis or Masters at Work sound the way they do and how they achieve that sound. I'll show you how I work with analog and digital, how I digitize my vinyl, and manage my library. We'll have a Q&A with my friend Elisa, a young DJ from Paris, where I'll answer her practical questions about DJing.
- Then in the third part of the course, we'll head over to Heartbeat records, my friend Melik's record shop in Paris where I'll show you how I dig for records.
Whether you're a beginning DJ trying to find your way or a producer with years of experience, I invite you to hang out in my studio and in the record store for a few hours, let's talk House and Techno!
Music credits: QuinzeQuinze - Bolero (DJ Deep Remix) - S76