Become The Ultimate 'Piano Man'
with Tom Seals
- Course Trailer
- Sample Lesson Free
- Intro to the course
- Welcome to the course, what to expect
- Billy Joel - New York State of Mind
- Intro to 'New York State of Mind'
- Using thirds
- Making it ‘blues-y’
- Making it ‘jazzy’
- Building your confidence in soloing
- Advanced solo ideas
- A classic ‘Billy’ ending
- Tom Seals performs Billy Joel's 'New York State of Mind'
- Ray Charles - Hallelujah I Love Her So
- Intro to 'Hallelujah I Love Her So'
- The ‘A’ section
- Using the piano as a big band
- Topping and tailing
- Tom Seals performs Ray Charles' 'Hallelujah I Love Her So'
- Boogie Woogie - Tricks and Improv
- How to start a boogie-woogie tune
- Left-hand patterns
- Right-hand tricks and developing ideas
- Boogie-woogie breaks
- Tom Seals performs 'Let The Good Times Roll' improvisation
- Course outro
- Conclusion & great job getting this far!
Lesson plan (1h 47m)
Just 27 years old, Tom Seals has played with some of his biggest heroes including Jools Holland, Gregory Porter and Jamie Cullum – and it's easy to see why.
In his first ever online course, Tom explores his musical influences and shares how he has made these songs his own, and how you can too.
You will learn:
- classic Billy Joel and Ray Charles piano lines
- how to put your own spin on these tunes
- using the piano as a Big Band
- blues scales when improvising
- boogie woogie left hand patterns
- how to develop right hand ideas
- right hand blues riffs
- dramatic intros
- working with or without vocals and so much more
Also included in the course are the transcriptions of the stunning performances of these tunes by Tom. You can practice along with our interactive sheet music player, slowing down the tempo and looping passages so you can learn to play just like Tom.
Step inside the world-famous Ronnie Scotts jazz club in London and improve your piano playing today!
“Tom Seals is that rarity - a phenomenal musician who is also a born teacher. I have watched literally hundreds of piano instruction videos by scores of teachers, and not one of them has come close to Tom's warm, natural delivery that makes me feel like he is in the room with me.”Ron