Become The Ultimate 'Piano Man'
with Tom Seals
- Course Trailer
- Sample Lesson Free
- Intro to the course
- Welcome to the course, what to expect
- Billy Joel - New York State of Mind
- Intro to 'New York State of Mind'
- Using thirds
- Making it ‘blues-y’
- Making it ‘jazzy’
- Building your confidence in soloing
- Advanced solo ideas
- A classic ‘Billy’ ending
- Tom Seals performs Billy Joel's 'New York State of Mind'
- Ray Charles - Hallelujah I Love Her So
- Intro to 'Hallelujah I Love Her So'
- The ‘A’ section
- Using the piano as a big band
- Topping and tailing
- Tom Seals performs Ray Charles' 'Hallelujah I Love Her So'
- Boogie Woogie - Tricks and Improv
- How to start a boogie-woogie tune
- Left-hand patterns
- Right-hand tricks and developing ideas
- Boogie-woogie breaks
- Tom Seals performs 'Let The Good Times Roll' improvisation
- Course outro
- Conclusion & great job getting this far!
Lesson plan (1h 47m)
At just 27 years old, Tom Seals has played with some of his biggest heroes including Jools Holland, Gregory Porter and Jamie Cullum – and it's easy to see why.
In his first ever online course, Tom Seals explores his musical influences and shares how he has made these songs his own, and how you can too.
You will learn:
Classic Billy Joel and Ray Charles piano lines
How to put your own spin on these tunes
Using the piano as a Big Band
Blues scales when improvising
Boogie woogie left hand patterns
How to develop right hand ideas
Right hand blues riffs
To work with or without vocals and so much more
Also included in this ultimate ‘piano man’ course are the transcriptions of the stunning performances of these tunes. You can practice along with our interactive sheet music player, slowing down the tempo and looping passages so you can learn to play just like Tom Seals.
Step inside the world-famous Ronnie Scott’s jazz club in London and start playing like the ultimate ‘piano man’ today!
Discover our full range of piano courses to take your skills to the next level.
“Tom Seals is that rarity - a phenomenal musician who is also a born teacher. I have watched literally hundreds of piano instruction videos by scores of teachers, and not one of them has come close to Tom's warm, natural delivery that makes me feel like he is in the room with me.”Ron