Play authentic Hammond organ
with Joe Glossop
- Course Trailer
- Sample Lesson Free
- Thinking and playing like an organist
- A 'welcome to the course' jam
- Types of Hammond and how they work
- History of the Hammond
- Operation of the C3 Hammond
- Types of Hammond
- Operation of the M101 Hammond
- Hammond clones
- Nord electro 5d
- KeyB Duo MKII
- Replicating the Leslie with a Neo Ventilator 2 pedal
- KeyB Duo comparison performances
- What hammond techniques work on clones?
- Hammond language and techniques
- Distinctive hammond techniques
- Jimmy Smith's percussion
- Billy Preston's vocal 'punctuation'
- Ken Lupper 'walks'
- Hammond moments
- Walkdown in 'I'm a Man', Spencer Davis Group
- Distorted hook in 'Gimme Some Lovin' ', Spencer Davis Group
- Jimmy Smith's riffing in Organ Grinder's Swing
- Full tune tutorials
- Performance: 'Green Onions' Booker T
- Tones: 'Green Onions' Booker T
- Playing the tune: 'Green Onions' Booker T
- Lead lines: 'Green Onions' Booker T
- Bassline: 'Green Onions' Booker T
- Performance: Jimmy McGriff - All About My Girl
- Keyboard view performance: Jimmy McGriff - All About My Girl
- Tones: 'All About My Girl' - Jimmy McGriff
- Intro: 'All About My Girl' - Jimmy McGriff
- Playing the head: 'All About My Girl' - Jimmy McGriff
- Bassline: 'All About My Girl' - Jimmy McGriff
- Ending: 'All About My Girl' - Jimmy McGriff
- Improvisation and comping: 'All About My Girl' - Jimmy McGriff
- Tone tutorials
- A Change is Gonna Come' - Sam Cooke
- Keyboard View: 'A Change is Gonna Come' - Sam Cooke
- La La means I love you' - Booker T
- Keyboard view: 'La La means I love you' - Booker T
- Groovin' Booker T & the MGs
- Keyboard view: 'Groovin' ' - Booker T & the MGs
- Time is Tight' - Booker T & the MGs
- Keyboard view: 'Time is Tight' - Booker T & the MGs
- 'The Girl from Ipanema' - Antonio Carlos Jobim
- Keyboard view: 'The Girl from Ipanema' - Antonio Carlos Jobim
- Blues based on 'Blue Bash' - Jimmy Smith
- Keyboard view: Blues based on 'Blue Bash' - Jimmy Smith
- Walk on the Wild Side' M series jam - Jimmy Smith
Lesson plan (3h 0m)
You don't need to own an organ to take this course. It's for everyone from organ enthusiasts, to those who play organ lines on keyboard, to those who are simply interested in the instrument.
It's all about playing like an organist, learning the techniques, tunes and tones that the greats of Hammond used on the classic recordings we all love.
Joe Glossop, Hammond organist to Tom Jones and Van Morrison, has distilled his expertise into a course that covers all the bases. On this course you'll learn...
- How a Hammond operates, what types of hammond there are and the history of the Hammond
- Distinctive hammond language and techniques from the likes of Billy Preston, Ken Lupper, Jimmy Smith, including percussive playing, slides, 'walks' and 'ghosting'
- Full in-depth tutorials on the classic Hammond tunes 'Green Onions' by Booker T Jones, and 'All About My Girl' by Jimmy McGriff
- How to play classic Hammond moments from Steve Winwood and Jimmy Smith
- How to achieve the tones of classic Hammond tunes like 'A Change is Gonna Come', 'Groovin', 'The Girl from Ipanema' and many more
- How to play like an organist even without owning a Hammond, including an in-depth look at the 'Hammond Clones' the Nord electro 5d, and the KeyB Duo.
Joe has made a spotify playlist where you can hear the classic versions of the tunes featured in this course check it out here.
“I signed up for your Hammond organ course this week. It's really useful and well-detailed material. I've been working on Jimmy's 'Organ Grinder's Swing.' Will be contacting you about tutoring. In the meantime, just wanted to say thanks for a terrific online course (I own a 1969 B3 and also an XK1-C).”John F