Rockschool Piano Debut
with RSL Awards
- Course Trailer
- Sample Lesson Free
- Welcome to the online course
- Meet Andrew Johnson
- Meet James Beckwith
- Meet Paddy Milner
- Piece performances
- Fallin', Alicia Keys (Performance)
- Clocks, Coldplay (Performance)
- Lean on Me, Bill Withers (Performance)
- Beat The Mersey, Joe Bennett (Performance)
- Cashville, Kit Morgan (Performance)
- Helicopter, James Uings (Performance)
- Piece lessons
- Fallin', Alicia Keys (Lesson)
- Clocks, Coldplay (Lesson)
- Lean on Me, Bill Withers (Lesson)
- Beat The Mersey, Joe Bennett (Lesson)
- Cashville, Kit Morgan (Lesson)
- Helicopter, James Uings (Lesson)
- Improvisation - what is it?
- Getting started with Blues improvisation
- The 12 bar Blues form
- Using the Blues scale
- Adding accompaniment
- Technical exercises
- Intro to scales, arpeggios and voicings - why they're useful
- Scales - Debut Grade
- Arpeggios / broken chords - Debut Grade
- Chord voicings - Debut Grade
- Sight Reading
- Sight reading with the "KAT TRAP" method
- Course outro
- About Rockschool & exams
Lesson plan (1h 25m)
Welcome to Rockschool Piano Debut: the Multi-Media Video Guide.
This innovative course challenges you to be the best pianist and musician you can be, whatever your level.
For this grade we have assembled a team of top pro pianists to give you unique demonstration performances and lessons on 6 pieces. You also get loads of in-depth pro insight into topics like piano technique, scales and arpeggios and how to improvise on contemporary chord progressions.
With the MusicGurus video player you can loop and slow-down all the performances and demonstrations, so this course will allow you to see exactly what's going on and work out the tricky parts.
Please note - the pieces contained in this Rockschool video course are from the 2017-19 exam syllabus. However they can still be performed as ‘free choice' pieces in RSL exams.