Contemporary Bass Guitar Grooves
with Bruce Gertz
- Course Trailer
- Sample Lesson Free
- Pulse & time
- Pulse, praticing time and articulation
- Jazz walking bass feel
- Straight time vs Swing time, G shuffle blues
- Latin feel with muted thumb
- Funk, slap, 16th notes and swing/funk with triplets
- Solo Jams swing/Funk
- Swing blues
- Double time, ballad feel
- Fast, Swing 320BPM, G Blues
- Articulations for walking style, pull offs, ghost (dead) notes, double pull offs
- Pick up notes, skips, drops
- Review of articulations combined in blues lines, C and C minor
- Funk note choices
- Latin Tumbao, roots, 5ths, 7ths, octave
- Building bass lines
- Building bass lines, point A to point B, brief theory of root motion, 8 approach options
- Example 1 - Getting started with roots & fifths
- How to play the root 5th, octave
- Examples 2, 3, 4, 5
- Play along tracks
- Play along tracks, example 1 without bass
- Play along tracks, example 2 without bass
- Play along tracks, example 3 without bass
- Play along tracks, example 4 without bass
- Play along tracks, example 5 without bass
- Advanced concepts
- Root motion and harmonic rhythm (beats per chord), scale and chromatic approach
- Approach notes
- Inversions, Triads
- Combinations of all ex.5, practice ex. 1-5
- About Bruce Gertz & Bass demo
- Course Challenge (Choose ONE to complete course)
- Challenge 1: Use articulation
- Challenge 2: Write a bass line
Lesson plan (1h 11m)
Award-wining bassist and educator Bruce Gertz (Berklee) teaches you how to build bass lines and master the major feels you'll encounter on electric jazz bass.
This course includes 2 "challenge assignments" for you to complete. Each challenge comes with personal 1-2-1 feedback and support from Bruce so you know exactly what to do next to improve.
In this course, Bruce starts with a recap of the basics, introducing you to how he teaches key concepts of pulse & time. He then moves on to demonstarting the major feels you'll encounter as an electric jazz bassist including:
- Walking bass
- 16th note funk
- Slap bass
- Latin tumbao
- Double time
- Ballad feel and many more.
Bruce then looks in detail at key articulation techniques that will make your playing sound authentic and professional, including pull-offs, double pull-offs, ghost notes, pickup notes, skips and drops.
You'll then learn how a pro builds a bass line, bringing together harmony, groove and time-feel. Bruce explains 8 different approaches to creating a bass line, demonstrated over 5 sample chord progressions.
The course includes play along tunes for each of the 5 chord progressions. Also, this couse on MusicGurus.com allows you to slow-down and loop any part of the lesson so you can easily learn and copy what Bruce plays.
Please note this course was originally published as a DVD and converted from this format - it is therefore in Standard Definition quality.