Founded in 2009, Gearbox has already established a catalogue of over 25 releases including limited editions and deluxe box sets, which are sold around the world through a network of specialist record stores and through its own online music store.
ANALOGUE CHAIN - VINYL MASTERING STUDIO
Gearbox has its own studio to master and cut its own records exactly how it wants, with no digital in the signal path or even a digital to analogue convertor to generate preview signals. It features an all valve playback area for vinyl and digital playback and for demonstrating great hifi provided by partners Audio Note.
KEY GEAR IN THE STUDIO
- Vintage Haeco Scully with Westrex (Western Electric) heads and cutting amps.
- Vintage Lang Pultec EQ and limiter,
- Maselec master control and de-esser,
- Prism Maselec EQ. Ex-Decca all valve bespoke mastering desk.
- Studer H37: 1969 All valve 1/2 inch interchangeable all valve 3 and 4 track tape machine. One of 2 left in the world and one of the only ways to read 1/2 inch valve multitrack
- Studer C37: 1965 1/4 inch interchangeable all valve stereo and full face mono tape machine
- Philips Pro51: 1965 Ex-Decca modified 1/4 inch germanium transistor 2 channel tape machine incorporating 30 ips
- Studer A671: Interchangeable quarter and half track professional machine for playback of historic domestic and broadcast tapes where both sides of the tape were used for economy.
As Philip Johnson from The Independent puts it, "LP specialist Gearbox is becoming one of the wonders of the age"...