Country Blues Guitar (part 3)
with Stefan Grossman
- Course Trailer
- Sample Lesson Free
- Country Blues Guitar (part 3)
- 01.Introduction to the course
- 03.Discussion of Rev. Gary Davis' right hand technique
- 05.Introduction to Doc Watson
- 07.Discussion of picking with only thumb and index fingers
- 09.Introduction to Big Bill Broonzy
- 02.Rev Gary Davis performs If I Had My Way
- 04.Big Bill Broonzy performs Hey, Hey
- 06.Doc Watson performs Deep River Blues
- 08.Brownie McGhee and Sonny Terry perform Red River Blues
- 10.Big Bill Broonzy performs Blues in E
- 11.Introduction to Rev. Gary Davis
- 13.Tuning, the Key of D and Stagolee
- 14.Stagolee (split screen)
- 15.Take A Whiff On Me
- 16.Take A Whiff On Me (split screen)
- 17.Tuning to Dropped D tuning and Tribute To Lonnie Johnson
- 12.Rev. Gary Davis performs Sally, Where'd You Get Your Liquor From
- 18.Tribute To Lonnie Johnson (split screen)
- 19.Returning back to Standard Tuning, the Key of E, playing blues in E, the shuffle beat and Lightnin' Hopkins' licks inthe Key of E
- 21.Avalon Blues (split screen)
- 22.The monotonic bass and blues in E and Mance Lipscomb's Charley James
- 23.Charley James (split screen)
- 24.Closing thoughts
- 25.Son House performs Death Letter Blues
- 26.Son House performs I Had The Blues This Morning
- 27.Son House on The Blues
Lesson plan (1h 7m)
In this 3-part course, Stefan Grossman explores the world of Country Blues Guitar. It is a fascinating and challenging study that covers blues, folk and ragtime arrangements in the the keys of A, C, D, E and G.
Each tune is discussed and taught phrase by phrase and played slowly on a split screen so that you can clearly see what each hand is doing. You will learn about the playing styles and techniques of legendary blues guitarists as Rev. Gary Davis, Frank Stokes, Blind Blake, Blind Boy Fuller, Mance Lipscomb, Lightnin' Hopkins, Mississippi John Hurt, Willie Brown, Robert Johnson, Sam McGee, Lonnie Johnson and Elizabeth Cotten.
INCLUDED: a detailed 56 page tab/music digital PDF booklet.
Rare footage of Mississippi John Hurt, Rev. Gary Davis, Furry Lewis, Big Bill Broonzy, Jesse Fuller, Elizabeth Cotten, Lightnin' Hopkins, Mance Lipscomb and Son House is also presented.
- In part 1 of the course: Key of C - Freight Train, It Won't Be Long, Buck Dancer's Choice, Candyman, Salty Dog Blues, Ragtime Mama Blues and Blake's Rag.
- In part 2: Keys of G and A - Spike Driver's Blues, Shake Sugaree, Ragged and Dirty, Blues licks in A, Willie Mae, Spoonful and Robert Johnson blues licks in A.
- In this one, part 3: Keys of D and E - Lightnin' Hopkins blues licks in E, Stagolee, Take A Whiff On Me, Tribute To Lonnie Johnson, Charley James and Avalon Blues.
Have fun learning!