Country Blues Guitar (part 2)
with Stefan Grossman
- Course Trailer
- Sample Lesson Free
- Country Blues Guitar (part 2)
- 01.Introduction to the course
- 02.Red Gary Davis performs Children of Zion
- 03.Discussion of right hand technique
- 04.Mance Lipscomb performs Shine On Harvest Moon
- 05.Discussion of three finger picking technique
- 06.Furry Lewis performs Furry's Blues
- 07.Introduction to Mississippi John Hurt
- 08.Mississippi John Hurt performs Spike Drivers Blues
- 09.Tuning and the Key of G and Spike Driver's Blues
- 10.Spike Driver's Blues (split screen)
- 11.Shake Sugaree
- 12.Shake Sugaree (split screen)
- 13.Ragged and Dirty
- 14.Ragged and Dirty (split screen)
- 15.Key of A, the monotonic bass - Lightnin' Hopkins Blues Licks in A and Big Bill Broonzy's Williy Mae
- 16.Key of A, the monotonic bass - Lightnin' Hopkins Blues Licks in A and Big Bill Broonzy's Williy Mae (split screen)
- 17.The alternating bass in the Key of A and Spoonful
- 18.The alternating bass in the Key of A and Spoonful (split screen)
- 19.Tribute to Robert Johnson
- 20.Tribute to Robert Johnson (split screen)
- 21.Closing thoughts
- 22.Big Bill Broonzy performs Worry Mind Blues
- 23.Lightnin' Hopkins performs Scratch My Back
Lesson plan (1h 4m)
In this 3-part course, Stefan Grossman explores the world of Country Blues Guitar. It is a fascinating and challenging study that covers blues, folk and ragtime arrangements in the the keys of A, C, D, E and G.
Each tune is discussed and taught phrase by phrase and played slowly on a split screen so that you can clearly see what each hand is doing. You will learn about the playing styles and techniques of legendary blues guitarists as Rev. Gary Davis, Frank Stokes, Blind Blake, Blind Boy Fuller, Mance Lipscomb, Lightnin' Hopkins, Mississippi John Hurt, Willie Brown, Robert Johnson, Sam McGee, Lonnie Johnson and Elizabeth Cotten.
INCLUDED: a detailed 56 page tab/music digital PDF booklet.
Rare footage of Mississippi John Hurt, Rev. Gary Davis, Furry Lewis, Big Bill Broonzy, Jesse Fuller, Elizabeth Cotten, Lightnin' Hopkins, Mance Lipscomb and Son House is also presented.
- In part 1 of the course: Key of C - Freight Train, It Won't Be Long, Buck Dancer's Choice, Candyman, Salty Dog Blues, Ragtime Mama Blues and Blake's Rag.
- In this one, part 2: Keys of G and A - Spike Driver's Blues, Shake Sugaree, Ragged and Dirty, Blues licks in A, Willie Mae, Spoonful and Robert Johnson blues licks in A.
- In part 3: Keys of D and E - Lightnin' Hopkins blues licks in E, Stagolee, Take A Whiff On Me, Tribute To Lonnie Johnson, Charley James and Avalon Blues.
Have fun learning!
“Stefan Grossman is known world wide as a blues expert, these videos reveal something entirely different: a very down to earth superstar who possesses something that not all those of world-class talent possess: the gift of teaching!It is of very little value to see a guitar superstar sweep through licks and they "show" them to students. ”Reviewer