Country Blues Guitar (part 1)
with Stefan Grossman
- Course Trailer
- Sample Lesson Free
- Country Blues Guitar (part 1)
- 01.Introduction to the series
- 03.Discussion of right hand technique
- 04.Rev Gary Davis performing Candyman
- 02.Mississippi John Hurt performing You Got To Walk That Lonesome Valley
- 05.Further thoughts on your right hand position
- 06.Furry Lewis performing Kassie Jones
- 07.Introduction to Jessie Fuller's performance
- 08.Jessie Fuller performing High Sheriff From Baltimore
- 09.Introduction to Elizabeth Cotten's performance
- 10.Elizabeth Cotten performing Freight Train
- 11.Tuning and first position chords in the key of C
- 12.Freight Train
- 13.Freight train (split screen)
- 14.It Won't Be Long
- 15.It Won't Be Long (split screen)
- 16.Buck Dancer's Choice
- 17.Buck Dancer's Choice (split screen)
- 19.Candyman (split screen)
- 20.Salty Dog
- 21.Salty Dog (split screen)
- 22.Blake's Rag
- 23.Blake's Rag (split screen)
- 24.Blind Blake's picking technique
- 25.Blake's Rag (split screen)
- 26.Reflections on the lesson
- 27.Doc Watson performs Traveling Man
- 28.Closing thoughts
- 29.Jesse Fuller performs San Francisco Bay Blues
In this 3-part course, Stefan Grossman explores the world of Country Blues Guitar. It is a fascinating and challenging study that covers blues, folk and ragtime arrangements in the the keys of A, C, D, E and G.
Each tune is discussed and taught phrase by phrase and played slowly on a split screen so that you can clearly see what each hand is doing. You will learn about the playing styles and techniques of legendary blues guitarists as Rev. Gary Davis, Frank Stokes, Blind Blake, Blind Boy Fuller, Mance Lipscomb, Lightnin' Hopkins, Mississippi John Hurt, Willie Brown, Robert Johnson, Sam McGee, Lonnie Johnson and Elizabeth Cotten.
INCLUDED: a detailed 56 page tab/music digital PDF booklet.
Rare footage of Mississippi John Hurt, Rev. Gary Davis, Furry Lewis, Big Bill Broonzy, Jesse Fuller, Elizabeth Cotten, Lightnin' Hopkins, Mance Lipscomb and Son House is also presented.
- In this part 1 of the course: Key of C - Freight Train, It Won't Be Long, Buck Dancer's Choice, Candyman, Salty Dog Blues, Ragtime Mama Blues and Blake's Rag.
- In part 2: Keys of G and A - Spike Driver's Blues, Shake Sugaree, Ragged and Dirty, Blues licks in A, Willie Mae, Spoonful and Robert Johnson blues licks in A.
- In part 3: Keys of D and E - Lightnin' Hopkins blues licks in E, Stagolee, Take A Whiff On Me, Tribute To Lonnie Johnson, Charley James and Avalon Blues.
Have fun learning!
“Stefan Grossman is an excellent teacher and these lessons really help you progress quickly compared to just working with the tab. There's plenty of material here to keep you busy for an extended period of time and its nicely graded with each new tune introducing something new. ”Granite State
“some great footage of the legendary characters who were still around in the 50's and 60's, Stefan as always personable and with magic fingers that seem capable of anything. so much material -you could cherry pick the bits you can relate to for decades.”Alan W