Bottleneck Blues Guitar (part 2)
with Stefan Grossman
- Course Trailer
- Sample Lesson Free
- Bottleneck Blues Guitar (part 2)
- 01.Fred McDowell performs John Henry
- 02.Wake Up Mama
- 03.Wake Up Mama (split screen)
- 04.John Henry
- 05.John Henry (split screen)
- 06.Intro to Jesse Fuller clip
- 07.Jesse Fuller performs John Henry
- 08.You Got To Move
- 09.You Got To Move (split screen)
- 10.Tell Me Baby
- 11.Tell Me Baby (split screen)
- 13.Spoonful (split screen)
- 14.Fred McDowell performs Good Morning Little Schoolgirl
- 15.Good Morning Little Schoolgirl
- 16.Good Morning Little Schoolgirl (split screen)
- 17.God Moves On The Water
- 18.God Moves On The Water (split screen)
- 19.Intro to Fred McDowell clip
- 20.Fred McDowell performs Keep Your Lamp Trimmed and Burning
- 21.Keep Your Lamp Trimmed and Burning
- 22.Keep Your Lamp Trimmed and Burning (split screen)
- 23.Roll and Trumble Blues
- 24.Roll and Tumble Blues (split screen)
- 25.Guitar Rag
- 26.Guitar Rag (split screen)
- 27.Final discussion
- 28.Mance Lipscomb performs Motherless Children
Lesson plan (1h 54m)
This is part 2 of a 2-part course that features 60 lessons and almost four hours of music and instruction. It is a MUST for anyone interested in bottleneck blues guitar. The lessons cover in detail all country blues bottleneck styles and techniques and feature rare footage of Son House, Fred McDowell, Mance Lipscomb, Jesse Fuller, Furry Lewis and Bukka White. This first part of the course focuses on playing in Open G tuning (Spanish). The second part presents the Open D tuning (Vestapol). Left hand playing techniques are discussed as well as choice of bottleneck/ slide and guitar to use.
Each tune is taught phrase by phrase and played slowly on a split-screen.
Also, each course features bonus downloadable audio tracks of the original 1920s and 1930s recordings of the original artists playing the songs.
INCLUDED: A detailed 65-page tab/music booklet as a digital PDF file available in the "downloads" tab on this page.
- OPEN G TUNING (click here to view part 1) - My Black Mama, Banty Rooster, Dry Spell Blues, High Sheriff Blues, County Farm Blues, Someday Baby Blues, Roll & Tumble Blues, Kokomo Blues.
- OPEN D TUNING (part 2) - Wake Up Mama, John Henry, You Got To Move, Tell Me Baby, Spoonful, Good Morning Little Schoolgirl, God Moves On The Water, Keep Your Lamp Trimmed And Burning, Roll and Tumble Blues, Guitar Rag
Have fun learning!
“Good tunes. Several of these songs are standards in the blues world, furthermore, Stefan's arrangements are quite good. They provide a solid version that is fun to play, cool to hear, and not too difficult to learn... The tunes gradually get more difficult, so you do build on the skills you learn.”Alex O
“Stefan definitely has what could be called great "bedside manner" when it comes to teaching...He is utterly friendly, clear, precise, simple in his approach and very charming to boot. I have sat many times just to watch him play the songs he teaches.”John Wilder