Bottleneck Blues Guitar (part 1)
with Stefan Grossman
- Course Trailer
- Sample Lesson Free
- Bottleneck Blues Guitar (part 1)
- 01.Son House performs Levee Camp Moan
- 02.Introduction to the Lesson
- 03.Jess Fuller performs I'm Glad Salvation's Free
- 04.Intro to Mance Lipscomb clip
- 05.Mance Lipscomb performs Jack Of Diamonds
- 06.Intro to Bukka White clip
- 07.Bukka White performs Aberdeen Mississippi Blues
- 08.Intro to Fred McDowell clip
- 09.Fred McDowell performs My Babe
- 10.Position of the Bottleneck
- 11.My Black Mama
- 12.My Black Mama (split screen)
- 13.My Black Mama (variations)
- 14.My Black Mama (variations - split screen)
- 15.Intro to Son House clip
- 16.Son House performs Death Letter Blues
- 17.Banty Rooster
- 18.Banty Rooster (split screen)
- 19.Dry Spell Blues
- 20.High Sheriff Blues
- 21.High Sheriff Blues (split screen)
- 22.County Farm Blues
- 23.County Farm Blues (split screen)
- 24.Someday Baby Blues
- 25.Someday Baby Blues (split screen)
- 26.Intro to Furry Lewis clip
- 27.Furry Lewis performs Goin' To Brownsville
- 28.Roll and Tumble Blues
- 29.Roll and Tumble Blues (split screen)
- 30.Kokomo Blues
- 31.Kokomo Blues (split screen)
- 32.Fred McDowell performs Louise
Lesson plan (1h 59m)
This is part 2 of a 2-part course that features 60 lessons and almost four hours of music and instruction. It is a MUST for anyone interested in bottleneck blues guitar. The lessons cover in detail all country blues bottleneck styles and techniques and feature rare footage of Son House, Fred McDowell, Mance Lipscomb, Jesse Fuller, Furry Lewis and Bukka White. This second part of the course focuses on playing in Open D tuning (Vestapol). The first part, available here, presents Open G tuning (Spanish). Left hand playing techniques are discussed as well as choice of bottleneck/ slide and guitar to use.
Each tune is taught phrase by phrase and played slowly on a split-screen.
Also, each course features bonus downloadable audio tracks of the original 1920s and 1930s recordings of the original artists playing the songs.
INCLUDED: A detailed 45-page tab/music booklet as a digital PDF file available in the "downloads" tab on this page.
- OPEN G TUNING (part 1) - My Black Mama, Banty Rooster, Dry Spell Blues, High Sheriff Blues, County Farm Blues, Someday Baby Blues, Roll & Tumble Blues, Kokomo Blues.
- OPEN D TUNING (click here to view part 2) - Wake Up Mama, John Henry, You Got To Move, Tell Me Baby, Spoonful, Good Morning Little Schoolgirl, God Moves On The Water, Keep Your Lamp Trimmed And Burning, Roll and Tumble Blues, Guitar Rag
Have fun learning!
“All content in these "Blues Guitar" sets is top notch and the instruction is concise and well thought out”John
“Coming to guitar late in life is daunting...these lessons have made it easier. They are accessible, concise and delivered without pomposity. This bloke knows how to teach and at no time acts superior. A master of his art for sure.”Mick
“This is a fantastic product. Stefan Grossman is such a valuable resource, and provides good material for learning complete slide guitar songs. The tunes are broken down well, and the tab is very helpful.”Fritz